A kanban board is a project management tool to visualize work. Kanban boards consist of cards and columns. The cards are work items, while the columns typically represent different statuses or steps in your workflow. In OneDesk the kanban board, called status board, is available for tickets, tasks, projects, and articles. You can also change the columns to represent other properties besides statuses, such as priority or assignee.
Use a board view to:
Visualize the progress of work items.
Limit the number of in progress tasks at a given time.
Interactively update the status of work items
Visualize and interactively update other properties such as priority and assigned work.
Access the board
The board is available in the Tickets, Tasks and Projects apps.
On the left view panel, select the status board.
If you do not see the status board in your list, it may be turned off in the current app. If you are an admin, you can turn it on:
- Hover over the views side panel.
- Select the cogwheel beside 'Views.'
- Under 'System Views' check the status board ON.
- The board view will now be available in the current app for all users in your organization.
Using the board
The columns on the board correspond to the statuses of your items and item types. In other words, to configure the names of the statuses in the columns, you should configure the statuses of your tickets, tasks, or projects. (Configure statuses from Admin > Tickets, Admin > Tasks, or Admin > Projects. See also : Lifecycle Status).
Move an item to another status:
- Click and drag the item into another column. The item will now be set to the corresponding status.
- To move multiple items at a time, hold Ctrl and click the desired items. Proceed to drag the selected items to the desired column.
Edit an item:
- Click the desired item. Select the pencil icon. A tab will open to edit the item. Alternatively, in the top bar, go to Tools > Dock detail panels on right. This allows you to edit the item without leaving the board view.
Delete an item:
- Click the desired item. Select the trash icon.
Create an item on the board:
- Click the add button, which appears at the bottom of the column upon hover. (Not available in the project board).
- Click a card and select the icon 'Insert New Item'. Enter a name. An item will be created under the item you first selected.
Customizing the board view
You can customize the board view by altering the grouping (columns), filters, and column visibility.
- Click the plus icon beside 'My Views' on the side panel to create a new custom view.
- Select 'Card' under layouts.
- Add a filter if you desire. Filters narrow down the items visible on the board.
- To change what your columns represent, you can select a different grouping. Available groupings are: Assignees, Lifecycle status, Priority, and Project.
- You can hide or show different columns, by selecting the cogwheel on the board. Column changes can be saved to your custom view by selecting the save icon beside 'unsaved view' in the side panel.