Time tracking in OneDesk can be done through timers or timesheets. By default, stopping a timer opens a timesheet. In the timesheet, the agent can alter the working hours, add notes, set the time as billable/non-billable, or update the status/progress. If you want to prevent the process of filling in a timesheet, you can utilize the automatic time tracking feature. Enable this feature if you find that filling in a timesheet is too much effort, or prone to error.
What is automatic time tracking / timer access only
Automatic time tracking refers to the feature in OneDesk where work is logged automatically. Clicking ‘start timer’ or ‘start work’ on a ticket/task starts the timer and the agent is assigned. When the timer is stopped the ticket/task is closed and the timesheet is submitted completely behind the scenes. This feature is enabled by setting a non-admin user’s timesheet permissions to ‘Time Access Only’.
Set user to ‘Timer Access Only’ - Enable automatic time tracking for a user
Automatic time tracking is enabled on a per-user basis to non-admin users.
- Go to the Users app on the left side panel.
- Open the user’s profile and Permissions & Notifications tab.
- Select the app permissions under ‘Non administrator’
- Configure Timesheets permission to Timer access only.
Timer Access Only/ Auto Time Tracking - User Experience
Users set to ‘Timer access only:
- DO not have the ability to submit a timesheet
- Will only see the ‘start timer or option on the Timesheet tab or action menus.
- Will see a Start Work button beside the assign button on a task/ticket detail panel
- The %complete, lifecycle status, and actual values are disabled
Task detail panel view of a 'timer access only' user with work in progress.
The automatic time tracking flow
- The agent hits to start work.
- The agent will be assigned to the ticket/task (depending on your settings other agents will be unassigned see timer option below)
- The agent is able to pause or stop the timer
- Pausing stops the count until play is pressed.
- Stopping will set the ticket/task as complete and the timesheet is submitted behind the scenes.
- This timesheet submits the ticket/task as 100%, Completed. The timesheet’s Billable/approval status depends on your defaults configured in admin settings (see below)
Note: One timer can run at a time. Bulk timesheet creation not available for ‘timer access only users’
Admins users have ability to:
- Stop or pause the timers of other users.
- Edit the submitted timesheets
Timer settings and options
You can access your timer setting from Administration → Timesheets
Under timer options you can enable or disable:
- Un-assign other users and teams - When a user starts a timer, other users or teams will be unassigned.
- Allow users to review and change the timesheet before submitting. (Applies to non-admin users with permission above ‘timer access only’)
Any timesheets submitted automatically will be submitted with the defaults configured here.